Application for a passport can be done only in person and by appointment only.

A Hungarian citizen can apply for a Hungarian passport in the possession of a valid proof of citizenship (passport, ID card, certificate of citizenship or naturalization document) or a passport which expired within a year from the date of the application. In the absence of documents listed above or an active record in the official registry of Hungarian citizens' data and address, the applicant has to undergo a citizenship verification process prior to being issued a passport. You can find more information on this process under “Hungarian citizenship”.

If there is a change in the family status of the applicant (e.g. marriage or divorce), at the time of the passport application, this has to be registered in Hungary as well.!

There is no need to fill out any form prior to the appointment and applicants do not need to bring a passport size photo.

Please bring the following documents if they are available to you: Hungarian birth certificate, address card, valid or expired Hungarian passport.

If the applicant is of more than 12 years of age, as a general rule, (s)he has to be present in order to have a picture taken, give fingerprints and an electronic signature.

The application of minors and persons under guardianship can be submitted by the parents (legal guardian). There is no need for personal appearance of minors under 12 years of age because they are not required to give fingerprints. In such cases, the parents are required to bring 1 good quality passport size photo. For children under the age of 6 a 1 good quality passport size photo should be brought along to the appointment. As a general rule, when applying for a passport for a minor, both parents have to be present (with valid ID cards, one of them has to be a Hungarian document). The presence of one parent (legal guardian) is sufficient given that the other parent has given his/her prior consent to the application by filling out the parental consent form and signing it in front of a Hungarian notary public or consular officer.


In case the reason for applying for a new passport is that the previous passport has been stolen a report of lost document has to be filed.