Regulations on a stay exceeding 90 days fall within the competence of national authorities, therefore there is no uniform routine among the Schengen Member States. Foreign nationals requesting entry to Hungary with a purpose of a long stay may submit a residence permit application. In case of successful application, applicant will get a visa authorizing to a single entry for receiving a residence permit and to stay for maximum 30 days in Hungary.
The decision on the residence permit falls within the scope of the regional directorates of the Office of Immigration and Nationality in Hungary.
A residence permit application can be submitted directly to a regional directorate of the Office of Immigration and Nationality in Hungary, if
a) the applicant can prove the exceptional reasons of the request, among others, family reunification or medical treatment,
b) the purpose of stay is research,
c) the applicant concerned is a national of one of the countries listed on Annex II (which includes the United States of America) of Council Regulation EC no 539/2001 (visa free countries).
I. General requirements:
- Fully completed residence permit application form (signed by the applicant, only Hungarian and English version accepted).
- Valid passport (which must be valid for at least 3 months after returning from Hungary, issued within the last 10 years and containing 2 empty pages).
- 2 passport-size color photos (not older than 6 months).
- Original of valid US alien registration card (residence permit, aka: green card) or valid US resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, L, O, R).
- Airplane ticket reservation.
- Supporting documents of health insurance (coverage of 50.000 USD for any medical and repatriation expenses, valid for the territory of Hungary/Schengen States, covering the whole period of stay).
- Supporting documents of accomodation.
- Confirmation of financial resources (the last 3 months of bank statements).
- Pre-paid and self-addressed USPS label.
Please not that he consul may request the presentation of further documents. Documents shall be submitted in original. The original documents will be sent back. They may be asked for when crossing the Hungarian border.
The consulate reserves the right to examine the authenticity of the communicated data and the submitted documents. The communication of false data will in itself lead to the refusal of the visa application.
II. Additional requirements:
1) In the case of a residence permit for the purpose of employement, the following documents are needed:
- A work permit, that can be obtained in Hungary from the Labor Authority of the county (or Budapest) where the future employment will take place. Application shall be filed by the future Hungarian employer. Once issued, the work permit shall be sent to the foreigner to submit it with the visa application.
- A contract of employment.
- A document certifying occupancy in Hungary.
- A certificate on how the person will make a living until he receives his first salary (bank account statement, employer’s certificate that he will pay an advance to the person, etc.).
- Please download the Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 10 or Appendix 15 here.
2) In the case of residence permit for the purpose of pursuing income generating activity, the following documents are needed:
- A certificate on the character of the gainful activity (the articles of association).
- The resolution on the court registration of the enterprise.
- A document certifying occupancy in Hungary.
- A certificate on the acquisition of the qualification necessary for filling the position.
- A declaration, certificate on the (expected) yearly income.
- A certificate of the amount of money at the person’s disposal in Hungary.
- The simplified balance sheet of the previous year (for a firm already operating).
- A certificate that the firm has no public debt (for a firm already operating).
- If the firm has Hungarian employees: their employment contracts.
- In case of a new enterprise: a brief business plan.
In case a visa for gainful activity is based on self employment like 1/ putting equipment into operation, providing warranty or guaranteed repair or service work, as part of the contract with the foreign supplier of the equipment; 2/ an executive officer of a company with foreign participation; 3/ a member of the supervisory board of a company with majority foreign ownership, the applicant shall submit the following particular evidence in addition to other regular documents:
- In case of paragraph 1: (certified copy of) the contract on supplying of the equipment
- In case of paragraph 2. and 3.: the company's articles of incorporation, the certificate of incorporation issued by the Court of Registration, certification of usefulness of the activity, as well as statements concerning the nature, scope and duration of the activities and the staff involved.
- Please download the Residence Permint Application Form and Appendix 7 here.
3) In case of a residence permit for educational purposes, the following documents are needed:
- A certificate of school attendance.
- A document certifying occupancy in Hungary (the document certifying accommodation in a student hostel or the tenancy contract with a duplicate of the title deed).
- The documents certifying subsistence in Hungary (bank account statement; or the declaration of the parents that they assume coverage of all costs of the stay in Hungary; or the document certifying the scholarship).
- Attestation of the school that the applicant is exempt from the payment of school fees or that he/she has already paid the tuition fees.
- Please download the Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 14 here.
4) In case of a residence permit for family reunification or for visiting a relative/friend, the following documents are required:
- Document certifying occupancy in Hungary.
- Document certifying subsistence in Hungary.
- Marriage certificate / birth certificate.
- Copy of the passport of the Hungarian relative.
- Please download the Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 2 or Appendix 9 here.
5) In case of a residence permit for research, the following document is needed:
- Contract with an accredited research institute.
- Please download the Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 8 here.
6) Other purposes:
- Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 5 (medical treatment) is available here.
- Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 6 (official purposes) is available here.
- Residence Permit Application Form and Appendix 16 (other purposes) is available here.
III. Fees, processing time
The fee for the residence permit application is 66 USD.
As a general rule, the regional directorate processes the application within 30 days.
In case of refusal, the applicant may lodge an appeal within 5 days from the notification. The appeal shall be submitted directly to that regional directorate of the Office of Immigration and Nationality that processed the application.
- The visa fee shall be paid when the application is submitted.
- The consulate does not charge any further fees other than the above.
- In case of a refusal of the visa, the visa processing fee cannot be refunded.
- The fee shall be paid in USD.
- The consulate can only accept debit or credit card as payment.
- All documents to be presented in connection with the visa application shall be original. No copies, notarized or not, shall be accepted. Any request for waiving this requirement shall be rejected without further consideration.
IV. Records of data, data protection
According to Article 95 of the Act on entry and stay of third country nationals (No. II. of 2007) the Office of Immigration and Nationality as well as the consulate authority shall manage the following data of foreign nationals, based on visa applications and on visas issued:
- natural particulars of identification;
- nationality (stateless status);
- photograph and passport data;
- the purpose of entry and the planned duration of stay;
- copies of documents verifying fulfillment of the requirements for entry and stay, or the data referring thereto;
- the rejection of visa and the reasons, if applicable;
- the number and series, and the period and territory of validity of the visa issued;
- the date and place of entry and exit;
- registered place of accommodation.
The consulate may disclose data from its register to law enforcement and criminal investigation agencies, the national security agencies and the refugee authority, to agencies specified by law or international agreement within the type of specific information defined therein, furthermore to Schengen / EU consulates in the jurisdiction.
If requested by the applicant, the OIN, and the consulate within its jurisdiction shall provide information regarding his data on record, unless the Aliens Act prohibits the disclosure of such data.
If the consulate determines, whether by the initiative of the applicant or ex officio, that any particular data on record is incorrect or has changed, it takes prompt measures to have such incorrect data corrected or removed from the records, whichever is appropriate.